As we have shared some of our favourite Christmas time desserts, it is now time to prepare the Christmas roast. You can make your Christmas roast more interesting this year by serving Parsnips & Carrots With Mulled Cider & Thyme.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 600g carrots, peeled and chopped into angled pieces. (we suggest 4cm, but if you choose to cut them thicker, then give them a little bit more time to cook)
- 400g parsnips, peeled and chopped into angled pieces.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 mandarin or clementine (slice into discs)
- 200ml Cider (we recommend Taunton Cider)
- half a tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil (or cooking spray) in a large pan
- Throw in the carrots and parsnips, then add salt (generously or as much as you fancy). Fry for a minute or two, and then add in the cinnamon, star anise bay leaf, cloves, clementine pieces and half of the cider.
- Put on a lid and cook for about 23 minutes (until tender). Make sure you check them every couple of minutes. Stir well and see if you need to add a dash more cider if the veggies are starting to dry out or get stuck to the pan. Remove the lid for the final 5 minutes to allow the cider to evaporate and the veg colour.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thyme leaves. Take out the spices. You can leave the clementine or mandarin slices.
- Serve and enjoy!